In May 2018, Pax Christi International launched a new programme in the Great Lakes region in Africa called ‘Empowering new generations on active nonviolence and entrepreneurship'. The purpose of the programme is to educate young people on the culture of peace and active nonviolence and includes assisting disadvantaged youth in creating small businesses. This project is taking place simultaneously in 3 countries (Burundi, Rwanda and Democratic Republic of Congo) and is being implemented by 16 organisations in Kinshasa, Kananga, Kisangani, Goma, Bukavu, Butembo, Uvira, Butare and Bujumbura.
The project was launched over a two-week period with two "Trainings for Trainers", first in Goma and then in Kinshasa, where 32 men and women were educated in the principles of active nonviolence. Afterwards, they were sent to their hometowns to give trainings on active nonviolence in different educational institutions and youth movements, reaching thousands of young people.
Pax Christi International strongly believes that young people trained in active nonviolence, imbued with positive values, will become catalysts for change in their own communities and significantly contribute to the restoration of a culture of peace, reconciliation and tolerance in their region and in their countries.
- Click here for photos from the training in Goma.
- Click here for photos from the training in Kinshasa.
- Click here for videos from the trainings in Kinshasa and Goma.
- Click here for photos from the ongoing project throughgout the Great Lakes region.
- Click here for the latest image in our #ThisIsNonviolence campaign from Pax Christi Uvira in the DR Congo.
- Click here for the latest image in our #ThisIsNonviolence campaign from Africa Reconciled in the DR Congo.
Reports on follow-up activities from this project:
- 16/12/18 - Our partner organisation CIAM gives a training in Kinshasa on nonviolence
- 4/12/18 - Pax Christi Uvira brings 2nd phase of the project on active nonviolence and entrepreneurship to a close
- 3/12/18 - Association Modest et Innocent launches "Club Active Nonviolence"
- 1/12/18 - Our partner organisation LIFDED gives training on nonviolence in Kinshasa
- 29/11/18 - Pax Christi Butembo seeks to raise awareness of youth on active nonviolence
- 18/11/18 - Launching activities for active nonviolence training in Burundi
- 17/11/18 - Advocacy action organised in Goma as part of the project on active nonviolence
- 11/11/18 - Pax Christi Uvira to launch the second phase of the project on Active Nonviolence and Entrepreneurship in the African Great Lakes Region
- 19/10/18 - New Article: Students from Mpiko High School in Lemba trained on active and evangelical nonviolence by Pax Christi International
- 4/10/18 - Forty more young people trained in active nonviolence from the Catholic Action Movement
- 3/10/18 - News Article: Africa Reconciled featured for its nonviolence trainings in CongoForum
- 10/9/18 - Africa Reconciled trains 73 young people in active nonviolence in Goma
- 9/9/18 - Kamenge Youth Centre trains 23 students from universities in active nonviolence in Bujumbura
- 5/9/18 - Les Amis de Nelson Mandela pour la défense de Droits Humains trains 64 young people in active nonviolence
- 30/8/18 - Featured in the Catholic Peacebuilding Network's News Briefs
- 24/8/18 - Kamenge Youth Centre trains 21 young people on active nonviolence in Kirekura zone
- 23/8/18 - Les Amis de Nelson Mandela pour la Defense des Droits Humains launches nonviolence, entrepreneurship project in Kinshasa
- 7/8/18 - News Article: Pax Christi trains the youth of Kinshasa in active nonviolence
- 31/7/18 - Africa Reconciled gathers leaders from youth movements for training in active nonviolence
- 27/7/18 - Pax Christi Butembo creates "United Nations Youth Development and Mutual Aid Union" as first activity of active nonviolence project
- 26/7/18 - Over 200 youth train in active nonviolence in anticipation of December 2018 elections
- 25/7/18 - Project on nonviolence, entrepreneurship launches with first activities