Arms Trade & Conversion of Arms Industries
The arms industry is a massive global industry and business which manufacturers and sells weapons and military technology and equipment. Defense companies produce arms mainly for the armed forces of States. Products include guns, ammunition, missiles, military aircraft, military vehicles, ships, electronic systems, and more. The arms industry also conducts significant research and development.
The international community must adopt a global Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) as soon as possible. Such a Treaty is desperately needed now. It would create a legally binding arms control and ensure that all governments control arms to the same basic international standards. In short, it would help stop weapons falling into the hands of indiscriminate killers and human rights abusers.
Pax Christi International has joined the Control Arms Campaign in putting pressure on governments to endorse the ATT. At a regional and national level, Pax Christi member organisations are heavily involved in pressuring their own governments to do the same. More information is available on their website.
- Advocacy work on the European Union level for a binding code of conduct on the arms trade.
- Participation in the Gothenburg dialogue process, an ecumenical initiative that gathers churches and church-related organisations on the issue of arms trade.
- Publication of an Advocacy Package and Campaign on the Arms Trade Treaty, ATT.
- Publication of an Advocacy Package “Swallowing the Bullet: An Ethical Approach to an Arms Trade Treaty.”
- Pax Christi International is active within Control Arms and the Ecumenical Working Group in favour of a strong a robust Arms Trade Treaty.
- Pax Christi issued a paper entitled “Swallowing the Bullet – An Ethical Approach to an Arms Trade Treaty.” The focus of the paper was on a faith and ethics based analysis of the arms trade. It also included a campaign guide with an overview of prominent campaigns and resources which acted to facilitate the spreading of the message that a strong Arms Trade Treaty is vital. Member Organisations, coalitions such as the Ecumenical Working group on ATT – Control Arms – IANSA – Justice and Peace Commissions published it on their website, distributed it among their members and used it as tool.
- Pax Christi International encouraged its Member Organisations to a letter writing campaign of which the goal was to make governments aware of the concerns churches and related organisations have for a strong and effective Arms Trade Treaty.