This Lent, #LiveNonviolence, #LivePeace for 40 Days
Each Lent, beginning on Ash Wednesday, Catholics all across the world examine their consciences, repent of personal and social sin, and seek to witness more vividly to the peace and justice that are explicit in Jesus's teachings, life, passion, death and resurrection. This Lent, Pax Christi International is inviting you to #LivePeace, #LiveNonviolence, #LiveJustice, #LiveReconciliation for #40Days.
We're collecting resources here on this page for your use throughout the Lenten season to deepen your commitment to peace, nonviolence, justice and reconciliation in word and deed, in personal lifestyle choices and in action aimed at creating social change. Each week we'll be posting and sending out reflections from our Senior Policy Advisor, Rev. Paul Lansu, connecting Lenten themes and scripture with the work of peace, justice and reconciliation. You'll see those reflections (and other resources) archived below, and we'll be sharing them over social media with the hashtags #LivePeace, #LiveJustice, #LiveNonviolence, #LiveReconciliation.
This is the fast that pleases me:
to break unjust fetters,
to let the oppressed go free,
to share your bread with the hungry
and shelter the homeless poor.
If you do away with the yoke,
the clenched fist, the wicked word,
if you give your bread to the hungry
and relief to the oppressed,
your light will rise in the darkness. (Isaiah 58:6-7, 10)
All praise be yours, God our Creator,
as we wait in joyful hope
for the flowering of justice
and the fullness of peace.
All praise for this day, this season.
By our weekly fasting and prayer
cast out the spirit of war, of fear and mistrust,
and make us grow hungry for human kindness, thirsty for solidarity
with all the people of your dear earth.
May all our prayer, our fasting and our deeds
be done in the name of Jesus. Amen.
(Source: Archdiocese of Chicago, Illinois, USA, 1983)
Each week we'll be posting and sending out reflections from our Senior Policy Advisor, Rev. Paul Lansu, connecting Lenten themes and scripture with the work of peace, justice and reconciliation.
- Ash Wednesday, 6 March
- First Sunday of Lent, 10 March
- Second Sunday of Lent, 17 March
- Third Sunday of Lent, 24 March
- Fourth Sunday of Lent, 31 March
- Fifth Sunday of Lent, 7 April
- Palm/Passion Sunday, 14 April
- Good Friday, 19 April
- Easter Sunday, 21 April
Join our Lenten campaign on social media by sharing our posts, especially Rev. Lansu's Lenten reflections, but also by sharing what you are doing during Lent to live peace, justice, reconciliation and nonviolence. Use the hashtags: #LivePeace, #LiveNonviolence, #LiveJustice, #LiveReconciliation and #40Days and tag us @PaxChristi on Twitter.
Other Resources and Action Ideas
- Take the "Vow of Nonviolence", by Eileen Egan and Rev. John Dear (Spanish version)
- Lose Your Life to Save It: Reflections for Lent 2019, by Dr. Alex Mikulich and Mary Yelenick, from Pax Christi USA
- Lenten resources including Way of the Cross services, Ash Wednesday liturgy and more, from Pax Christi UK
- Resources for International Women's Day which takes place March 8th during Lent
- Examine Your Relationship with Creation and Your Role as a Consumer: Lent 2019, from the Columban Center for Advocacy and Outreach