African Great Lakes Region: Pax Christi International launches programme on empowering new generations on active nonviolence, entrepreneurship in Burundi, Rwanda, and the DRC
2/5/18 - Today, Pax Christi International is launching a new programme in the Great Lakes region in Africa called, ‘Empowering new generations on active nonviolence and entrepreneurship'. The purpose of the programme is to educate young people on the culture of peace and active nonviolence and includes assisting disadvantaged youth in creating small businesses. This project is taking place simultaneously in 3 countries (Burundi, Rwanda and Democratic Republic of Congo) and is being implemented by 16 organisations in Kinshasa, Kananga, Kisangani, Goma, Bukavu, Butembo, Uvira, Butare and Bujumbura.
Over the next two weeks, the project is being launched with two "Trainings for Trainers", first in Goma and then in Kinshasa, where we will educate 32 men and women in the principles of active nonviolence. Afterwards, they will be sent to their hometowns to give trainings on active nonviolence in different educational institutions and youth movements, reaching thousands of young people.
Pax Christi International strongly believe that young people trained in active nonviolence, imbued with positive values, will become catalysts for change in their own communities and significantly contribute to the restoration of a culture of peace, reconciliation and tolerance in their region and in their countries.
- Click here for photos from the training in Goma.
- Click here for photos from the training in Kinshasa.
- Click here for the latest image in our #ThisIsNonviolence campaign from Pax Christi Uvira in the DR Congo.
- Click here for the latest image in our #ThisIsNonviolence campaign from Africa Reconciled in the DR Congo.
Reports on follow-up activities from this project:
- 23/8/18 - Les Amis de Nelson Mandela pour la Defense des Droits Humains launches nonviolence, entrepreneurship project in Kinshasa
- 7/8/18 - News Article: Pax Christi trains the youth of Kinshasa in active nonviolence
- 31/7/18 - Africa Reconciled gathers leaders from youth movements for training in active nonviolence
- 27/7/18 - Pax Christi Butembo creates "United Nations Youth Development and Mutual Aid Union" as first activity of active nonviolence project
- 26/7/18 - Over 200 youth train in active nonviolence in anticipation of December 2018 elections
- 25/7/18 - Project on nonviolence, entrepreneurship launches with first activities