The Catholic Nonviolence Initiative, a project of Pax Christi International, reaffirms the centrality of active nonviolence to the vision and message of Jesus, to the life of the Catholic Church, and to the long-term vocation of healing and reconciling both people and the planet.
This bold effort was launched at the Nonviolence and Just Peace Conference held in Rome April 11-13, 2016 and co-sponsored by the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace, Pax Christi International, and other international bodies (see full list below).
Lay people, theologians, members of religious congregations, priests and bishops from Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe, the Middle East and Oceania gathered to call on the Catholic Church to take a clear stand for active nonviolence and against all forms of violence. In his message to the conference, Pope Francis said, “Your thoughts on revitalizing the tools of nonviolence, and of active nonviolence in particular, will be a needed and positive contribution.”
- Catholic Nonviolence Initiative meets with Vatican officials, National Catholic Reporter, December 2016
- November 2016 Update
Summary of the Nonviolence and Just Peace Conference, Rome, April 2016
- Webinar #1: Introduction to the Nonviolence & Just Peace Conference in Rome, 13 September
World Day of Peace Message, 2017 - Nonviolence: A Style of Politics for Peace
Media Coverage of the Catholic Nonviolence Initiative
- "Peace deal puts Colombia at the heart of Year of Mercy," Crux, 26 September 2016
- "Pacific Northwest gathering to focus on commitment to peace, nonviolence," National Catholic Reporter, 23 September 2016
- "Cardinal Turkson: 'We do not stop war by starting another war',” National Catholic Reporter, 20 September 2016
- "Vredesweek: mystiek in actie" (Peace Week: Mysticism in action), Ignis, the Dutch-language Jesuit magazine in Flanders and the Netherlands, 16 September 2016
- "Pope urged to abolish creed of a ‘just war'," The Sunday Times, 24 April 2016
- "Vatican conference urges end to doctrine of 'just wars',” Associated Press, 15 April 2016
- "Pax Christi promotes Just Peace rather than Just War," Vatican Radio interview of Marie Dennis, co-president of Pax Christi International (includes audio link), 12 April 2016
- Read a variety of coverage of the historic Nonviolence and Just Peace conference in Rome in April 2016 by clicking here.
- Read ongoing media coverage of the Catholic Nonviolence Initiative by clicking here.