United Nations: Pax Christi International is getting ready for next week when the UN negotiations on a treaty banning nuclear weapons will restart
Pax Christi International is in full preparation for the second round of negotiations for a nuclear weapons ban treaty starting next week. The draft “Convention on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons”, which was released on 22 May 2017, forms the basis for the negotiation sessions taking place at UN headquarters in New York from 15 June through 7 July 2017.
It is an historic moment for all of us who have been striving for years to make progress towards the prohibition and elimination of nuclear weapons. Our work has focused on calling upon all UN member states to participate in the negotiations and to contribute to a robust human-centred legal instrument. Below you will find an overview of some of our activities.
Pax Christi International
- Statement from February 2017 with four calls to governments for a human-centred treaty
- Our reaction to the presentation of the treaty text on 22 May in Geneva
- Text proposals regarding the draft treaty for lobbying with governments prior to and during the second round of negotiations
- Participation in the Women’s March to Ban the Bomb on 17 June in New York.
- Film Screening and Discussion: "The Nuns, the Priests and the Bomb" on 29 June at the UN in New York with the NGO Committee on Disarmament, Peace and Security.
- Side-event on 30 June at the UN in New York aiming to assess the human centeredness of the treaty text.
Materials from members and partners
- Pamphlet by Pax Christi Victoria explaining the dangers of nuclear weapons.
- Briefing by Pax Christi UK which is full of is full of excellent resources and information on the proposed negotiations for a nuclear weapons ban treaty.
- Briefing on the nuclear weapons ban treaty by Network of Christian Peace Organisations
- ICAN’s booklet setting out the potential impact of the treaty and how the negotiations have come about.
- ICAN’s briefing paper on the draft convention with specific recommendations.
- Speech at March negotiation session of Jasmin Nario Galace, director of Pax Christi International, delivering a statement by interfaith NGOs.
- Video by Susi Snyder, Nuclear Disarmament Programme Manager of our member organization PAX, explaining why this is such a historic moment.
These actions reflect our advocacy priority Nuclear weapons ban treaty. Find out more.