Pax Christi International, together with members and partners, commemorates 50 years of occupation of the Palestinian territories
In June, it will be fifty years since the Six-Day War of 1967 . Since then, Israel has occupied the Palestinian territories. After fifty years of occupation and violations of international law, it is time to say, ‘Enough’. This is the moment for a renewed commitment to end the violence and to reach a just and sustainable solution, guaranteeing the fundamental rights of both Israelis and Palestinians, in accordance with international law.
Pax Christi International, together with members and partners, is planning commemorative events around the world.
Below you will find an overview of some of these activities.
Activity of Pax Christi International
- We published a press release. You can find translations in Espanol, Français, Deutsch
- Also read our December statement, in which we give our standpoints on 50 years of occupation.
Activity of our members
- The Arab Educational Institute plans a full-day program on Monday June 5 along the Wall around Rachel’s Tomb in Bethlehem.
- Pax Christi Italy collects Events and trips not to forget the occupied Palestine on its website.
- Pax Christi Flanders organises TRAINING COURSE: ISRAEL AND PALESTINE FOR BEGINNERS
- Download here a magazine published by BePax: Israeli-Palestinian Conflict: A paradoxical import (in French)
- Find here all activities of Pax Christi France regarding ISRAEL-PALESTINE / HOLY LAND (in French)
- Pax Christi Germany hosts a conference in Stuttgart "The cultural heritage of Palestine" with Dr. Khouloud Daibes and a day with the subject "50 years of Israeli occupation" in Berlin (in German)
- Pax Christi UK newsletter, June issue, will focus on the Balfour Declaration and its impact on the present time. Three young people from the Arab Educational Institute (see above) are invited to share their personal vision of a way forward.
- PAX Netherlands organizes a workshop on creative activism in the framework of the six-day event (in Dutch).
- Pax Christi International Washington Working group is involved in several events and actions. For example in "50 Years Too Long: A CMEP Advocacy Event", June 4-6, 2017 in Washington DC // Sponsor a free breakfast one of the morning at the Ecumenical Advocacy Days (EAD) in Washington DC. This year’s EAD breakfast speakers focused on BDS and how to counter new legislation to prevent or hinder it in the United States.
Activity of our partners
- World Council of Churches calls for prayer for just peace in the Holy Land.
- Broederlijk Delen: Over three evenings, in three Belgian cities, writers, human rights activists and politicians from Europe, Israel and Palestine will discuss this highly topical issue.
- Maryknoll Office for Global Concerns organises a "50 Years Too Long” Advocacy Summit by Churches for Middle East Peace on June 6.
These activities reflect Pax Christi International’s advocacy priority, Renewed Israel–Palestine Peace Process. Find out more.