DR Congo and South Sudan: Heed Pope Francis's call to pray for peace on 23 February
13/2/18 - Pope Francis has called for a "special day of prayer and fasting for peace in the world" on Friday, 23 February 2018. The day of prayer is especially aimed at prayers for peace in the conflict-stricken nations of the Democratic Republic of the Congo and South Sudan. Catholics and other Christians as well as followers of other religions and people of good are invited to join in this event.
“In the face of the tragic continuation of conflicts in different parts of the world, I invite all the faithful to a special day of prayer and fasting for peace on 23 February, the Friday of the first week of Lent,” Pope Francis announced. “We will offer it especially for the populations of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and of South Sudan."
“Our Heavenly Father always listens to his sons and daughters who cry to him in their pain and anguish,” the pope continued. “I make a heartfelt appeal so that we too listen to that cry and each of us, in our own conscience, ask ourselves before God, ‘What can I do for peace?’”
“Certainly,” he said, “we can pray, but not only that: Each one can concretely say NO to violence inasmuch as it depends on him or her. Because all the victories gained by violence are false victories; but to work for peace does good to us all!”
Pax Christi International invites all of our members, partners and supporters to join in this prayer for peace. We invite all to consider using these resources to mark this day and pray for peace in the DRC and South Sudan, as well as all areas of conflict in the world.
- A Meditation on Praying for Peace (EN)
- Une méditation pour la paix (FR)
- A Litany for Peace (MSWord version for adapatation) (EN)
- Une litanie pour la paix (version MS Word pour l'adaptation) (FR)
- A Litany of Peace (PDF) (EN)
- Une litanie pour la paix (PDF) (FR)
- Support the work of Pax Christi International member organisations in the DR Congo and South Sudan
- Read about Bishop Paride Taban, former International Board member of Pax Christi International and founder of Holy Trinity Peace Village Kuron in South Sudan, a member organisation of Pax Christi International
- Read background papers written for the Catholic Nonviolence Initiative by participants in the Nonviolence and Just Peace Conference (Rome, April 2016) from South Sudan (and here too) and the DR Congo
- Read excerpts and background information, watch videos, and more from the December 2016 "Nonviolence in Africa" consultation which included representatives from our member organisations in the DR Congo and South Sudan; read the final conference statement here