Volunteer to assist with communications
What is Pax Christi International?
Pax Christi International is a non-profit, non-governmental Catholic peace movement working on a global scale on a wide variety of issues in the fields of human rights, human security, disarmament and demilitarisation, just world order and religion and violent conflict. The movement has more than 100 Member Organisations active in more than 50 countries and five continents worldwide. The International Office of Pax Christi International is located in Brussels, Belgium.
Intern Position Summary
Pax Christi International is looking for an enthusiastic and dedicated media & communications volunteer to assist the Communications Team with the production of content for its newsletter, website, blog and social media channels.
Period of assignment
Volunteers must be able to make at least a three month commitment.
The volunteer will assist in every aspect of communications, which means the outreach via the website, Facebook, Twitter, the Peace Stories Blog, mass and normal mailings.
The volunteer will assist in tasks such as:
- Check Pax Christi International member organisations' websites, newsletters or mass mailings for relevant news, summaries and translate them if necessary into English and add necessary background information for the monthly newsletter
- Develop a calendar of news items according to time sensitivity, importance and frequency
- Contact members to encourage the writing of a Peace Story for the blog
- Post member news on Facebook, Twitter, the website or with mass mailings
- Assist in doing social media campaigns
- Publish regularly a Peace Story
- Do research on and edit licence free photos or videos
- Support and develop design and content for website
- Update website
- Create monthly newsletter and adjust it for HTML and PDF version
- Contact online volunteers to translate the newsletter into Spanish and French
- Update subscriber list
- Track statistic data on target group and outreach
Involvement in general tasks in an international office.
This is a great opportunity for young graduates to acquire work experience in an international environment, and gain insight into the dynamics of an International Peace Movement with more than 100 Member Organisations spread over 5 continents.
This is an unpaid position, though travel expenses and other related costs will be reimbursed.
- Fluency in English writing and speaking skills, knowledge of French is important (Spanish and/or German are a plus)
- experience in communication / using social media
- Articulate and basic knowledge of peace work
- Strong command of Microsoft Office;
- Multimedia competences with photo, video or audio editing
- Basic knowledge about HTML and CSS is a plus
- Ability to work in close co-operation with others in a multi-cultural setting;
- Interest in working in a non-profit, non-governmental, international organisation that promotes just peace, peace spirituality and social justice.
To apply, send us your CV and cover letter before 20 May at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications should be submitted in English. Please indicate your time availability in the cover letter. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Online Volunteer Translators
We are looking for online volunteers to translate/proofread our monthly newsletter as well as occasional advocacy documents and statements pertaining to human rights, human security, disarmament, demilitarization, just world order, religion and violent conflict, from/into: English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, Russian, Arabic, etc. For details, click here.
What is Pax Christi International?
Pax Christi International is a non-profit, non-governmental Catholic peace movement working in ecumenical, interfaith and secular policy circles on human rights, human security, disarmament and demilitarisation, just world order and religion and violent conflict. We believe that peace is possible and that vicious cycles of violence and injustice can be broken.
Today, the movement has more than 100 Member Organisations (MOs) active in more than 50 countries and five continents worldwide. The International Office of Pax Christi International is located in Brussels, Belgium.
Why volunteer with Pax Christi International?
- To gain experience on advocacy, networking and teamwork at the head office of an International Peace Movement with 100 Member Organisations spread over five continents;
- To learn how to manage and implement programmes in a culturally sensitive and conflict sensitive manner;
- To learn how to make use of resources at the level of intergovernmental organisations and at the level of the civil networks that Pax Christi is involved in;
- To acquire an active voice in shaping ideas and values as well as a sensitive ear in hearing others - dialogue, deliberation, and consensus-building out of differences are strong threads in our work;
- To gain insight into the way an international NGO works;
- To learn to work in a collaborative manner and in an intercultural environment;
- To develop organisational skills.
The Secretariat's location of Brussels gives volunteers the unrivaled opportunity to engage in civil society at the international level. Especially for those volunteers interested in human rights issues, Brussels hosts some of the most progressive NGOs and European think-tanks also working on these issues.